Saturday, July 25, 2009

Re-blog- My Journey to Winnipeg

I was reminiscing about my trip to Winnipeg to do the "It's A New Day" show the other day. So I thought I would post it again for you all to enjoy.

I will start off by telling you what my journey was supposed to look like. I was to fly to Winnipeg on Sunday afternoon, met up with my friends and spend the night at their home and then hang out in the morning prepping for my big TV appearance and then take a cab to the studio Monday afternoon. And then fly home Monday night. Sounds like a perfect plan. Well not one part of that plan happened!

I travelled to Saskatoon to catch my plane Sunday afternoon. When I arrived a few planes were delayed because of a snow storm in BC and Ontario. But I checked my flight and everything was fine. I got my ticket went through security and went to my gate and settled in to read my new Tony Compolo book that I had been meaning to read for quite a while. Over the PA system I hear an announcement that my flight was cancelled and I need to return to the Air Canada check in. So I make my way back down to the desk and while in line I hear the rumour that the flight is cancelled because our plane is stuck in BC. Our options are a flight at 5:30am or 5:30pm the next day.

I called my husband to ask what I should do. Flying out the next day involved getting a hotel room and money is not something that we have a lot of, we had already put out the money for the flight so I wasn't sure what to do. He told me that this was an opportunity that I shouldn't lose so get a hotel room. I eventually made my way to the front of the line where I changed my ticket for the 5:40am flight, which I would need to be there at 4:40am for check in. By this time, it is about 7pm and I am so hungry. My family had stayed at a hotel just down the street from the airport that had reasonable rates so I thought I would stay there.

I leave the airport and it had been snowing quite a bit since I first arrived. I travel to the hotel only to be told that they were full. But I was told that there was a hotel across the street that I could try, thankfully they called over and asked them to reserve a room for me. I drive across the street out in the snow one more time. There are several others I recognized from the Air Canada line arriving at the hotel as well. While I am checking in she asks me what time I want my wake up call and I start thinking about it and I have to answer 3:30am. She looks at me odd, so I tell her about my flight cancellation so she tells me that I qualify for the Air Canada inconvenience rate for my room. Oh yeah!

I made my way upstairs to my very nice room, and I opt for room service because I am starving. I order a wonderful stirfry and I sat down to watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition. It was great other than I ended up crying through most of the show. :(

With the thought of having to get up at 3:30am I had a hard time falling asleep. I probably slept a little here and there but not a real sleep. I actually ended up getting up before the wake up call and got ready for my day in Winnipeg. I made my way downstairs to find my vehicle piled with snow. The girl at the desk offers to give me a ride to the airport and I can park my vehicle there for the day and they will pick me up when I arrive that night. That is great, a nice warm ride to the airport and I don't have to warm my vehicle up twice. I am waiting for the van to come to take me to the airport and all these large men with gun cases start to fill the lobby. I end up riding to the airport in a 15 passenger van full of Texan hunters. YIKES!

I could not believe how many people were at the airport at 4:30am. I made it through the line and security and I am waiting at my gate again. I thought about reading my book but I was far too tired. I sat down and just wanted to sleep. I think I was sitting there sleeping with my eyes open. Until I hear the PA systems giving me another message. Sorry but your flight is delayed because the flight crew wasn't picked up and the plane is not ready. Ya right they weren't picked up, someone slept in. And hour later we are boarding the plane for the one hour flight to Winnipeg.

Wow, I can't believe how much I have written and I am just leaving Saskatoon. Tune in tomorrow for part two, what happens when I land in Winnipeg? Does my luck change or does it get more exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.