Saturday, March 27, 2010

31 Day Challenge- Proverbs Chapter 27

WOW! Today’s Podcast was great!  “Words of a Feather” such a great podcast, it is definitely worthy of 7 minutes of your time.  I had never heard the feather story before, but I know that it will be one that I remember.

I was convicted years ago about words.  After being involved in the modelling industry I know how deep words can hurt.  Losing a job because they thought one of my Modelling Photo Punkeyebrows was just a little higher than they other really hurts at the time.  Now it wouldn't bother me as much because if in fact one eyebrow is higher than the other it is because that is the way God made me and my eyebrows are perfect!  What an interesting industry, your flaws are pointed out to you on a regular basis.  The people involved in this industry are very strong individuals.  I couldn’t handle it at the time, and I am not sure if I could handle it now.  (But I don’t have to worry about it because I don’t look like I once did J, I had to post a picture just so you would believe me)

On to Chapter 27!

V.2 “Don't praise yourself; let others do it!”

I don’t ever remember reading this verse but I really like it.

V.17 “As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.”

I love this verse, how true it is.  I can honestly say that I don’t think that I had a true friend until my 30’s.  I really didn’t have friends through school.  When I got married I moved to a different Province so I was starting from scratch.  Then as a Pastor’s wife you never know whether they are your friends or if they are just being nice because you are a Pastor’s wife.  Something I learned the hard way after our two church experiences.  Now I have friends that hold me accountable, pray for and support me.  That is the kind of friend that sharpens you.

V. 19 “As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the person.”

There are several verses that portray this message throughout scripture and I think of them often.  When you work with teens, they see and know all.  You can not be fake or pretend to care about them.  They know when you are not real.  I know that what is in my heart reflects outward.  I want people to see Christ through me, I want people I come into contact with to know that I am the real deal.  That just made me think of a situation from almost 8 years ago. 

Eight years ago on March 27, 2002 I was a very large person.  I was pregnant with my first child and I had gained over 50lbs.  Which was strange because I had just spent the last eight months throwing up.  Seriously, I was on disability from work because I could not keep anything down and then it stopped two weeks before I gave birth and turned into horrible heartburn.  Oh, the joys of pregnancy.  Anyway, the day of delivery, of my daughter I mean.  It was Sunday and one of the Mom’s of our youth was a nurse in the maternity ward.  As she was leaving church she told me to come in and have the baby because she was working that night.  I jokingly said, “Okay, see you later.”  About 12 hours later I am being wheeled into the maternity ward asking the Mother of one of our youth for drugs.  I believe my words were, “Give me some drugs, this hurts so bad!”

They tell you in prenatal classes that on average the first delivery lasts between 10-12 hours.  I should have known that I am never average, my contractions started at 2 minutes apart.  We lived 30 minutes from the hospital.  By the time I got there I was already well on my way and drugs were not possible.  They said that a bath would help.  (It didn’t really help.)  I also learned that my Doctor was just on his way back from Calgary and he was hoping to make it in time for the delivery.  My delivery plan was working out perfectly!  NOT!!!!

Thankfully I was the only one delivering at the time and I had all the nurses attention.  Just four hours after I had the first contraction at home, Acacia popped into the world.  Literally, my Doctor did arrive just in time and he wasn’t expecting her for a few more pushes, I can still remember the surprised look on his face as he caught her.  Is this too much information?

Anyway, the point of the story is this.  The next Sunday at church the mom of one of our youth came up to tell me that I am who I say I am.  When I was delivering (remember--without drugs) that I didn’t change who I was.  She said that many women come through the maternity ward and they do not act at all like the person that they present in public.  You see, when you are going through that much pain you can’t hide who you really are.  That was probably one of the most uncomfortable, yet most complimentary compliments that I have ever received. (it is really awkward to have the nurse and doctor who helped deliver your children attend your churchJ) 

Well, I need to wrap this up and get back to my girls.  If you are friends with me on Facebook you can see the pictures I posted from our girls spa night last night.  They are so cute.  Maybe I will write a post about soon and share the pictures on here. 

Hope you enjoyed today’s Podcast as much as I did.  See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. (I am who I say I am. When I was delivering (remember--without drugs) that I didn’t change who I was. She said that many women come through the maternity ward and they do not act at all like the person that they present in public.) GOOD POINT!! It is good to see the bottom line big picture...I just saw a friend go through a situation and she did not change...I(being the best friend) heard her anger, I heared her pain...but she walked through it first and did not respond to the person through the anger and pain in a negative way!! So proud of her am I :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.