Friday, February 06, 2009

Worry = Selfishness

I was listening to a talk about worry and then all of a sudden it dawned on me; worry is so selfish. Let me explain my thinking.

Here is a study I found on worry. Studies show that:
40% Never happen
30% Past mistakes and beyond control
12% health concerns that were needless
10% insignificant or petty
8% were actually about something that was significant and
4% of those were out of people’s control.
Conclusion: 96% of worry is irrelevant

So if 96% of worry is irrelevant than why do we spend so much of our valuable time doing it? We worry because we think that situations are not going to turn out the way that we want them to or how we think they should happen. As if we have some control over the situation.

How funny is that? I am scared to think about all the time I have wasted worrying about things that didn’t turn out the way I wanted them to. I have much better things to do with my time!

So tell yourself today that there is no need to worry, you can’t control it anyway. Just give it to God and go on with the more important things in your day. Go and kiss your husband, hug your children, go have coffee with a friend. Your time is more valuable than spending it on irrelevant worry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.