Friday, March 05, 2010

31 Day Challenge, Proverbs Chapter 5

We all slept in a little at the Carleton home this morning, my husband got up early to get some work done and I turned off the alarm which was a bad idea.  Lately, I have been getting up early and listening to the Proverbs podcast before my daughters come down for breakfast.  But today we were running late so I thought while my girls are eating breakfast and I am making lunches we can listen to the podcast together.  What a great family moment.

If you have read Chapter Five you know what my daughters ages 6 & 7 heard this morning.  For example V. 15-17 let me know this may not be the best conversation starter with my girls right before school this morning.  “Drink water from your own well--share your love only with your wife. Why spill the water of your springs in public, having sex with just anyone? You should reserve it for yourselves. Don't share it with strangers.”

After I heard those verses my lunch making got really noisy and I turned the volume down a notch because I didn’t know what else was coming in the chapter.  I didn’t want to turn it off completely because the scriptures are truth and yes I have talked to my girls about sex (what is appropriate for the age and according to questions that have come home from school.)  But because of their parents my daughters are both very analytical and I knew a lot of questions would be asked so I made a lot of noise so that they wouldn’t miss the bus.  I’m sure there will be a question and answer period after school today.

I shouldn’t be surprised at what Solomon is writing here.  He did have 700 wives and 300 concubines.  I’m sure he learned a multiple of lessons from his choices.

But beyond all of that experience this morning, it is V.21 that stands out for me.  “For the Lord sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes.”

Our choices are not hidden.  Whether it is poor choices in our marriage, how we treat our children, neighbours, the check-out person at Walmart.  Nothing is hidden, not even our motivation behind the things that we do.  I am totally behind what Solomon says in this chapter about marriages, his advice is for husbands and wives as far as I am concerned.  Too many marriages are failing because the choice to uphold the sanctity of marriage is not there.  But many of us are choosing to fail in life as well because we don’t understand the preciousness of it.

When I was going through a phase of trying to “find” myself I read a quote that said, “Choice not chance will determine your destiny.”  You shouldn’t just let life happen to you, you actively have to make choices each day.  My choice to rededicate my life to Christ was a major turning point for me.  I believe that I have a healthy fear of the Lord that keeps me from travelling down the paths that I once choose.  Hopefully with each year that passes I will continue to make better choices in my paths as “I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven.”  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.