Monday, August 08, 2011

A Remarkable Love

Dr. Maxwell Maltz tells a remarkable story of a love like this.

A man had been injured in a fire while attempting to save his parents from a burning house.  He couldn’t get to them.  They perished.  His face was burned and disfigured.


Her husband had repeatedly refused any help.  She knew he would again.


He mistakenly interpreted his pain as God’s punishment.  The man wouldn’t let anyone see him – not even his wife.

She went to Dr. Maltz, a plastic surgeon, for help.  He told the woman not to worry. “I can restore his face.”

The wife was unenthused.  Her husband had repeatedly refused any help.  She knew he would again.

Then why her visit?  “I want you to disfigure my face so I can be like him!  If I can share in his pain, then maybe he will let me back into his life.”

Dr. Maltz was shocked.  He denied her request but was so moved by this woman’s love that he went to speak with her husband.  Knocking on the man’s bedroom door, he called loudly, “I’m a plastic surgeon, and I want you to know that I can restore your face.”

No response.

“Please come out.”

Again there was no answer.

Still speaking through the door, Dr. Maltz told the man of his wife’s proposal. “She wants me to disfigure her HandReachingForDoorKnob_thumbface, to make her face like yours in the hope that you will let her back into your life.  That’s how much she loves you.”

There was a brief moment of silence, and then, ever so slowly, the door knob began to turn.

So these three things continue forever: faith,  hope, and love.  And the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

 

 

I have to admit that Thomas Nelson is my favourite publisher.  They have not published one of my books (yet), but I have to admit that every book that I enjoy is published by them. (especially the Yada Yada Prayer Group Series and the House of Hope Series)  They have good taste!

 

The story that you just read is from the book, ‘You Changed my Life- stories of real people with remarkable hearts’ by Max Lucado.  I have really enjoyed this book and when I read the story above it made me cry and I have thought about it many times since I originally read it.  I contacted Thomas Nelson for permission to share it with you.

 

They granted me permission and they shared this video with me for more information about the book.

What do you think of the story?    Have you had someone change your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.