Sunday, March 02, 2008

Question answering time!

Okay, to get to the questions. I have to say that my brain still hurts a little bit, but I will do my best. I will start with an easy one. I had quite a few questions asking me about me, so let's start there. So you can find out who I am and understand where I am coming from.

When did you become a Christian?

I grew up going to church and to camp. I always thought myself to be a "Christian" during that time. When I was 15 my family stopped going to church and I didn't really understand at that point so I just thought that part of my life was over and carried on. Soon the church stuff was no longer a part of my family or home. But my Grandma wanted to see things change. She prayed for me consistantly. I believe that I am who I am today because of my Grandma's prayers. I made a lot of choices that I regret and went through a lot of soul searching and then realized that I needed to learn more about Jesus and why He should be a part of my life. So when I was 22, I spent a night crying out and praying on my knees and told God that I was tired of trying to live my life. So I was giving Him control because I was only screwing it up.

I didn't realize exactly what I was doing at the time, because since then God has lead me through some exciting places and some scary lessons, but I would never change it for anything. I would never go back to trying to live my life for myself and I can't understand why anyone would want to do it either.

Why do you do what you do?

Right after I dedicated my life to Christ I was doing a lot of soul searching as to what I wanted to do with my life and when in my life was I truly happy. I remembered going to camp in my teens and I just loved it. I didn't even notice when my parents left but when they came to get me I would cry and cry because I didn't want to leave. I even spent a summer there working in the kitchen. So it was Feburary and I wanted to find a job working at a camp. I found a booklet that listed all the camps in Ontario so I started looking through it. I came across Muskoka Woods Sports Resort and noticed that it was open year round. So I gave them a call. They sent me an application and I filled it out and fax it in on a Monday, they called and interviewed me on Wednesday and I moved there on Saturday.

It was awesome working there and spending time with the school groups during the week and church groups on the weekends. I knew that I wanted to help teens make better choices than I did. One weekend there was a large women's conference at the camp. Since I was one of the few female staff they asked me to go and work sound and help out in the conference. I had alreayd worked all week with school groups and didn't really have the energy but I thought they needed help so I would go and help out where I could. So it was great doing sound because I go to help out with all the sessions and here the great speaker. On the Sunday morning session they even had communion and they invited me to take part. I was very surprized and happy to be included. Ater communion they had the speaker share again. I was listening intently when I heard someone say, "That is going to be you someday." I remember looking around me because it was so clear. I shook my head and began listening again. And there it came again, "That is going to be you someday, and you are going to write books." I remember thinking, Ya whatever, I would never do that and who would listen or buy my book?

I began to do a lot of journalling while I was there. And I became excited about writing and wanting to share my thoughts. So I started writing the book that is now, What Makes you Unique? After working at MWSR I volunteered in my church for a while with the youth and then I joined a group called ROX Games which was a part of Campus Crusade for Christ and I toured thorughout Canada speaking in High Schools. Many times during our tour I would have people come up and tell me that I should write a book. God has never let me forget it. I am humbled when I think of all the times that God has sent people into my life to remind me what it is that He wants me to do. So that is why I do what I do. Because God won't let me forget it and my passion has never left since I worked at MWSR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.