Thursday, May 01, 2008

Mentoring

I find it so interesting how God works in my life. Whenever I am researching something and writing something I always get some form of an experience or example of what I am studying. So I have been studying Titus 2 lately. I feel so strongly that older women must mentor younger women. It is a requirement of us from scripture so there is no denying it. Most women feel that this is a big undertaking. That you have to meet with someone once a week for coffee and hold them accountable. That could be an example but not necessarily.

Being an example, is just that being an example. Say an encouraging word, smile as they pass you at church. If you are over having coffee with your friend and their daughter walks into the room, say “Hi” ask them about school, you may not get a big elaborate answer but you are opening the door for maybe something more in the future. Every little bit helps; it is better than sitting back and pretending that they don’t exist.

I was at a bridal shower for a good friend of mine. The host of the evening had everyone say how they knew the bride-to-be. I had never seen this done before and I found this part of the evening very interesting. Many of the women in attendance said that they knew her mother and had watched her grow into a lovely young woman but didn’t really know her. How odd. I have emailed the bride-to-be to get her thoughts on what she thought of this. All these women have been watching her for years but none of them knew her. Well, why the heck not! You have a relationship with her Mother, why would just sit back and watch her children?

We as the body of Christ are to be helping each other grow in all areas of our lives. Everyone has something that they can teach someone else. Everyone! I know this for a fact because the Bible tells us that God has given each one of us a gift (a unique attribute) 1 Corinthians 12:6 & 7, and that we are all one body made up of different parts (Romans 12:5). We all have something to bring to the table, and we shouldn’t deny others of what we are able to offer them. Each of these women, I believe missed an opportunity. Romans 14:12 reads “Each of us will have to give a personal account to God.” I know I want to hear “Good and faithful servant” at that point, I want to follow what has been laid out for me in scriptures. None of us can say, “Well nobody told me!” Because it is written right there in scripture and it is our responsibility as representatives of Jesus Christ to continuously be a student of the word of God.

So this blog is getting pretty deep, I have been thinking about this for a few days. Why are we denying this upcoming generation the knowledge to do things better than we did them? I had an interesting wall-to-wall discussion on Facebook last night. A teen girl had written on her status to pray for her generation because they are so screwed up. So I wrote to her asking her to elaborate and we ended up chatting back and forth for over an hour. Wow, did I ever learn a lot from her. If our younger generation is screwing up and heading for disaster it is our fault. And it is up to us to do something about it.

Today's exercise: What can you do today to make a difference for the younger generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.