Wednesday, March 03, 2010

31 Day Challenge, Proverbs Chapter 3

Day three,  Chapter three.  I am finding myself excited to get my family out the door so that I can sit and read through the chapter of Proverbs each day.  I love to find rest in my Bible.  Last Sunday I told my Sunday School class that sometimes I just like to sit and hug my Bible.  (I think most of my class thinks I’m off my rocker most of the time, oh well, I hope they are learning something)

V. 21-24 “My child, don't lose sight of good planning and insight. Hang on to them, for they fill you with life and bring you honour and respect. They keep you safe on your way and keep your feet from stumbling. You can lie down without fear and enjoy pleasant dreams.”

Yesterdays podcast by Al Fike said that “Daydreaming which is thinking, prevents nightmares which is worry.”  I have thought about that over and over since I heard it.  My youngest is always waking in the night because of bad dreams/thoughts.  I know that she often worries about things during the day as well.  So this has been helping me to put two and two together.  If I can help with her thoughts during the day, it will eventually take away the nightmares that plague her at night.  I so hope that is true, because a good nights sleep is very important especially in a growing young girl.

In Chapter three we read that by holding on to wisdom that it will help us on our way and keep us from stumbling.  I am noticing that there are a lot of verbs in Proverbs.  Wisdom is not something that suddenly appears or just happens it is something that we have to actively choose and act upon throughout each day.   In one commentary that I read it says that Proverbs emphasis is on the moral quality of one’s life path.

What I am coming to conclude is that if we actively choose to desire wisdom instead of waiting for wisdom to happen or just suddenly appear we can stay on a path that is guided by our heavenly father.  It says that it will keep our feet from stumbling- I think that is because we are walking with God and He is holding our hand.  When I am walking with my daughters and they are holding my hand if they trip I can hold them up before they come crashing to the ground.  That is the picture I get when I read that verse.

And in V. 24, We can lie down and have pleasant dreams.  If we have stayed on the path during the day we can finish the day with a sense of contentment which would lead to a good nights sleep.

I also liked the section about helping your neighbour and not to plot against them because they trust you.  I love my neighbourhood.  Before we moved here I prayed for our neighbours and that we would have a good relationship with them.  We have been blessed.  In our block we know each family, some more than others but enough that we can have a chat over a fence or at the mailbox or even over for coffee.  We are fortunate enough to have children the same age as our daughters so they have friends to ride bikes with throughout the summer.  After school we can have a neighbourhood chat while we wait for our children to arrive home on the school bus.  We are also there when a neighbour needs a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on.

I believe we are placed where we are for a reason.  Get to know your neighbours, there is something that only you can offer to that person and/or family.

This post is getting long.  There was a lot in this chapter but I will save that for my mind to ponder throughout the day.  Looking forward to Chapter Four!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to share with me.